By Energy Saving in this article, we are talking about ( Saving Electricity on Heating and Cooling ). Energy Saving Insulation is one of the essential factors in this exercise.
Energy Saving and Comfort in your home are two significant factors in creating a happy home.
Roofing Insulation is so important. That many first world countries have had Insulation programmes to subsides homeowners insulating homes.
To fall in line with the targets that countries have been given to reduce the impact of Global Warming.
Take a look at the factors on how Insulation saves Energy In The Home while giving comfort.
More than half the energy we use to heat or cool our homes can leak out without insulation.
Energy Saving Insulation
- Saving money on your energy bills
- Very significantly, reducing your energy use Lowers Greenhouse Gas Emissions. You are reducing the impact of global warming.
- Reduce the need for heating and cooling systems.
- You are improving the temperature and comfort in your comfort home.
- Some types of insulation can make your home more soundproof.
- We are reducing condensation.
Energy Saving Insulation in Summer
Firstly if your home is sweltering in summer and you have to resort to running an Air conditioner in the house. This is for you. If you wish you had an Air conditioner but have to make do with a fan, then you are in the same boat.
- A correctly Insulated Home will reduce the heat flow into the home via the ceiling space.
- It has been estimated that as much as 90% of heat flow from the roof space can be blocked by insulating the roof space.
- Heat build-up in the roof space in summer can increase the heat on the underside of the ceiling substantially.
- Some ceilings can reach temperatures of up to 59 – 65 degrees on a hot summer day.
- This is like underfloor heating but above your head.
- The heat in the roof space radiates down into the home for hours after dark,
- Therefore, reducing this heat flow into the home will improve temperatures substantially and lessen the need for cooling.
- If cooling is used to cool down an office block, the insulation will reduce the running time as the thermostat will kick in far less and cool down the larger area.
- Thermal Insulation will reduce heat loss or gain in any home.
Energy Saving Insulation in Winter
And in winter, the reverse effect will take place. Our homes are cold, and we need the use of fires in the house. Or heating from electrical heaters or gas.
- Energy Saving Insulation in the home will reduce the warm air created in the house from being lost to the roof space.
- The correct Roof Insulation will reduce the heat loss upwards by up to 90%.
- Remember, warm air or hot air will rise. As the ceiling space is cold, this air will be lost to the roof space.
- Closing curtains and making sure that there are no air leaks in the home. This will save on massive amounts of energy.
- Temperature improvements of 4-8 degrees can be felt in most homes.
- If heating is being used, it will warm up large home areas at a fraction of the cost.
- Therefore in homes with adequate insulation, this energy-saving will equate to substantial energy-saving benefits.
The Best Energy Saving Insulation Products
Think Pink Aerolite Insulation
Aerolite Insulation is the highest grade insulation product on the market. The insulation reduces heat loss and gains as much as 90%. The Aerolite insulation is non-combustible and is recommended for Hospitals, Schools and Shopping Malls.
Knauf Ecose Insulation
Imported from Germany, the Knauf Ecose Insulation has a similar R-value and rating to the Aerolite Insulation, and the benefits are identical.
Isotherm Insulation is a polyester insulation product that is dust and allergy-free; however, the product is no longer SABS approved, so we have concerns about installing the Isotherm.
Isoboard is an EPS product installed as a tongue and groove ceiling. Importantly Isoboard is also regarded as a thermal ceiling.
Roofing Insulation Requirements
In South Africa, all new homes must be insulated with SANS compliant Roof Insulation at the building stage. All areas have been specified a specific insulation R-value to reduce the impact of energy loss in these areas.
All areas have a specific R-value to achieve to reduce the impact of Energy Loss without insulation.
Installing a good quality Roofing Insulation like 135mm Aerolite or 145mm Isotherm will reduce the temperature in summer and improve the temperature in winter. Install SABS insulation for your benefit and safety.